Home > Showroom
TOP QUALITY GLASS WORKMANSHIP DISPLAYED IN THE “DIADEMA” LAMPS CRAFTED BY VISTOSI
Take some thin strands of clear glass produced entirely by hand using the traditional techniques of drawing employed by the glassworkers of Murano. Next, put them together to achieve a skilful balance of forms, using the novel method of “coupling”, a patented and specifically Italian technique. What is the result? It is called “Diadema” (Diadem), and it is the wall-lamp collection that has been an important factor in establishing a world-wide reputation for the glass-makers Vistosi. The business is based in Mogliano Veneto, a small town situated in the Province of Treviso.
The talents for craftsmanship displayed by Vistosi have been inherited from a dynasty of glass-makers. Five centuries ago the family settled on the Island of Murano, where all the glass-workers were confined together until the end of the 13th century. This was decreed both to preserve the secrets of their art and to save Venice from the fires caused by their furnaces. Proud of this long tradition, nowadays the company seeks to combine design and innovation. Currently, their research is focused on the new frontier of energy-saving products, with special emphasis on the “modern” techniques of LED lighting. It is a real challenge to incorporate these little lights into sophisticated and decorative products, whose origins go back to the ancient traditions of the glass-workers of Murano.
Nevertheless, ancient and modern styles have always combined harmoniously in the Vistosi collection. It is no accident that four members of the firm are always present at briefings to discuss new products: the artistic director and the managers of the commercial, technical and strategic planning departments. This is a way to bring together the skills of the Murano craftsmen with the creative flair of the designer, taking pains to intuit the desires of the consumer and understand the demands of the market. To optimise its product, over the years the company has solicited the collaboration of great designers such as Gae Aulenti, Ettore Sottsass and Alberto Meda.
The real turn-around with regard to tradition occurred during the 1950’s. In 1952, after the death of his father, Luciano Vistosi interrupted his studies and, together with his uncle Oreste and his brother Gino, founded the new firm of Vetreria Vistosi. The aim was to create products based on the very latest ideas in the world of design. In 1980 the company experienced another change of course: after the premature deaths of both uncle Oreste and brother Gino, management of Vetreria Vistosi passed into the hands of the Moretti family. In 1989, following some years of collaboration between the two families, Giancarlo Moretti, already owner of the glass-makers Vetrofond, completely revitalised the prestigious Murano brand and began production of the Vistosi collections. Today, the company exports more than 50% of its production, especially to Europe, the Far East (the Philippines, Thailand and India) as well as to Australia.
Now, free from all commercial ties to the company that bears his name, Luciano Vistosi lives in Venice and works in his studio in Murano, where he produces art-works made from blown glass. The innovative character of his work has been captured in the images of some of Italy’s best-known photographers, such as Ugo Mulas, Gianni Berengo Gardin, Paolo Monti, and Franco Fontana.